Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 02-16-12 8:33 pm

bob_2

Unrest Over a Day

Andy Nash told me that he would be writing this article when I wrote to him about New Covenant Theology. Here is the article: http://www.adventistreview.org/article/ … a-rest-day

Again, this article does not talk in detail about the Covenants. If he had, he would have had to speak of Heb 8:13 and the obsolete Old Covenant, and the New Covenant. He speaks of the time delay the authors of the 4 Gospels took and their seemingly familiarity of the authors' comfort with talking about the Sabbath.

I find that approach interesting, if you believe the writers of the Bible to be inspired. There is nothing wrong with the SDA church worshiping on Saturday, for the right reasons. There is no mandate in the NT to do so, but there is no restriction not to. What's the issue then? Andy Nash misses this point. It is wrong to require a SDA convert to agree that Saturday is kept to be a member and that you then can be part of the remnant church and thus saved.

Last, if we rely on our feelings we get holding hands at sundown Friday evening, what keeps any person from using this argument for any warm fuzzy feeling that any group could create and say, doesn't that feel good, it must be God directing this. Wrong question with a wrong answer resulting.

Last edited by bob_2 (05-10-12 6:03 pm)

#2 03-03-12 12:21 am

bob_2

Re: Unrest Over a Day

This was written to the Adventist Review after the article was published:

I read Andy Nash's "Unrest Over a Rest Day". My reaction after reading it, is that he has not included the study of the Old and New Covenant. The Old Covenant was the Ten Commandments and the other 603 Laws given to a unique people: Exodus 31: 18 When the LORD finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him the two tablets of the covenant law, the tablets of stone inscribed by the finger of God.

Rarely do we see a study of the Covenants as they related to each other. Here the 10 Commandments are referred to as the "two tablets of the covenant law". What does the New Testament or New Covenant say about the 10 Commandments:

2 Cor 3:7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

Look further at

Heb 8: 13 By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

Then Gal 3  19 Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come.

The Sabbath is a matter of covenants . It was the central part of the OC. However, the 10 Commandments were written for the Jews in the Old Covenant until the "seed" "Jesus" should come.  Note that the Sabbath was fulfilled, Col 2:16, 17

I grew up in our schools, but these verses were never studied, Since I have studied them, I have wondered why.

Board footer