Adventists for Tomorrow

Our mission is to provide a free and open medium that will assist individuals in forming accurate, balanced, and thoughtful opinions regarding issues within and without the church.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Due to a large increase in spam, I have frozen forum registration. If you are new to the site and want to register, e-mail me personally at vandolson@gmail.com. Thank you.

#1 05-31-10 2:55 pm

bob_2

This is not "MY" Church

This article ran in the Adventist Review May 27, 2010:

One of today’s more popular tropes is that the laity, somehow, have “ownership” of the church. Because members are “stakeholders,” the reasoning goes, those in the pews have the “right” to expect, even demand, the church bend its teaching to fit our whims, or the mores of the moment. If society accepts a practice, even if that practice contradicts a clear “you shall not” from God, the church must find a way around the stricture as we all stride toward greater “freedom.”

Forgive me if I don’t join this procession. Christian faith has already “emerged”; it is eternally “relevant”; and the message of the gospel has been “localized” for “every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people” (Rev. 14:6, KJV). I don’t “own” the church—and neither do you. Jesus said, “I will build my church” (Matt. 16:18), which makes Him the one in charge.

It’s alarming to see people—ones who claim affiliation with and fidelity to the Seventh-day Adventist Church—turn around and proclaim this church “must” embrace teachings and practices that are at odds with our historic faith and the clear statements of God’s Word. I grieve that our longtime embrace of religious freedom is seemingly morphing into solipsistic license.

When, like so many, I chose Adventism, it wasn’t with the idea of junking our core beliefs after a season, to then fit the fashion of the times. I freely support everyone’s right to their own conscience; they just don’t have, as the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan once said, the right to their own facts.

For Seventh-day Adventists, our facts and our faith are found in the Bible. I invite all in our church family to embrace and support its teachings. God will bless that effort.

#2 05-31-10 3:05 pm

bob_2

Re: This is not "MY" Church

This article says nothing of specific concerns, nor quotes its source to solve the problem, the Bible, Solo Scriptura.  Hence, the article is a bit of a waste or gets Mr. Kellner brownie points internally at the Review. In Reality, the church is struggling. As individuals study the word of God and realize the SDA church needs to do what it recommends, read the Bible alone for a different view then their beloved SOP. Call that solipsistic, but it is a bit ad hominem

Last edited by bob_2 (05-31-10 3:06 pm)

#3 06-01-10 5:48 pm

bob_2

Re: This is not "MY" Church

This author neglects the progressive truth which is SDAism. If one were to more closely study the 2 Covenants, you would realize that SDA Truth is not absolute, but must progress. The New Covenant Theology I have been talking about has the answers that solve some of the contradictions that are not apparent contradictions in scripture but real ones if adopted as Covenant Theology. It is a form of lazy exegesis which becomes active eisegesis.

Board footer